Office of Diversity Programs Visiting Elective Program
Visiting Elective Program
The goal of the Visiting Elective Program through the Office of Diversity Programs is to enhance the exposure of students considering careers in academic medicine to the Washington University Medical Center, while promoting cultural diversity on the medical school campus. Students who are members of groups underrepresented in medicine or who are socioeconomically disadvantaged are strongly encouraged to apply to the program.
Applicants must be fourth year medical students in good standing at their respective schools in the United States. They are eligible to participate in one four-week elective. In addition, applicants must have a demonstrated background in enhancing service to disadvantaged groups and current experience in activities related to providing care to the under served.
- Accepted students will be reimbursed up to $2000 for expenses such as travel, housing and other living expenses as well as the Visiting Student Elective application fee of $100
- The program will provide networking opportunities with residents and fellows, as well as fourth-year Washington University medical students
- Visiting students will have access to student facilities including the Bernard Becker Medical Library
- Forest Park, one of the largest urban parks in the United States, serves as the medical center’s back yard and offers a wide spectrum of athletic and cultural facilities
Individuals interested in applying should email the following documentation to the Office of Diversity Programs (ODP), email@example.com:
- Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program Application and accompanying forms
- ODP VEP Supplemental Application
- Curriculum vitae
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member who has supervised the applicant during a third year clerkship, emailed directly from the faculty member’s office
- Our office will download your medical school transcript from the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) service.
Acceptance into the ODP Visiting Elective Program confers acceptance into Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program.
We recommend that you submit applications at least two weeks before the desired date of the elective. Applications submitted after the start of the elective will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Applicants must submit their elective application through VSLO.
To access the Visiting Medical Student Program forms and the electives’ catalog, please visit Washington University’s Visiting Medical Student Program website.
For questions, contact the Office of Diversity Programs.