Visiting Elective Program
The goal of the Visiting Elective Program through the Office of Diversity Programs (ODP) is to enhance the exposure of students considering careers in academic medicine to the Washington University Medical Center, while promoting a diverse and inclusive learning environment on the medical school campus. The program provides funding and networking opportunities for visiting students who have been accepted into a 4-week elective at Washington University.
All applicants who are fourth year medical students in good standing at their respective schools in the United States are welcome to apply. Of particular interest are students who are passionate about promoting health equity and providing care to marginalized communities.
- Accepted students will be reimbursed up to $2000 for expenses such as travel, housing, the Washington University Visiting Student Elective application fee and other approved living expenses for a 4-week elective
- The program will provide networking opportunities with residents and fellows, as well as fourth-year Washington University medical students
- Visiting students will have access to student facilities including the Bernard Becker Medical Library
- Forest Park, one of the largest urban parks in the United States, serves as the medical center’s back yard and offers a wide spectrum of athletic and cultural facilities
Applicants must submit their elective application through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) service. Individuals interested in applying to the ODP Visiting Elective Program should email the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- ODP VEP Supplemental Application
- Curriculum vitae
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member who has supervised the applicant during a third year clerkship, emailed directly from the faculty member’s office
- Our office will download your medical school transcript from VSLO.
- For questions, please contact the Office of Diversity Programs.
Acceptance into the ODP Visiting Elective Program confers acceptance into Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program.
We recommend that you submit applications to the ODP Visiting Elective program at least two weeks before the desired date of the elective. Applications submitted after the start of the elective will be reviewed on a case by case basis.