Public and Community Health Opportunities
The Office of Diversity Programs is directly involved in the improvement of the St. Louis public’s health through an integrated public health curriculum and student-led groups.
Public health training programs
- Saturday Neighborhood Health Clinic: The clinic introduces students to patient-centered health care for indigent community residents.
View a video about the clinic from Medical Alumni and Development’s Mentors series:
- Public Health Interest Group: A student affinity group that provides guest lecturers from national authorities in public health, networking for students interested in careers in public health and service opportunities.
Washington University also offers degree programs in public health and population health.
- MD/MPH Degree: Available exclusively to current Washington University School of Medicine students pursuing their Doctor of Medicine degree, students in this program earn a Master of Public Health degree from the Brown School in one additional year of study. Designed for medical students with an interest in population health, this program approaches improving community health from the perspective of prevention. Students gain an understanding of the social, economic, environmental and cultural determinants of health and learn to apply evidence-based approaches to community-level disease prevention, health promotion and health policy. MD/MPH Degree Program Overview »
- MD/MPHS Degree: The Master of Population Health (MPHS) offered by the School of Medicine is a 10-month, full-time degree program for medical students, residents, fellows and attendings seeking training in clinical research methods. The curriculum emphasizes the role of clinical epidemiology and biostatistics in approaching clinical effectiveness and outcomes research for all medical fields.
Public health student groups
Students participate in a variety of activities and groups focused on public health. These include:
- Casa de Salud
- Health Economics and Policy Interest Group
- Health Outreach Program
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer MED (LGBTQ MED)
- Perinatal Project
- Public Health Interest Group
- Saturday Neighborhood Health Clinic
- Students Teaching AIDS to Students (STATS)
- Sun Protection Outreach Teaching by Students (SPOTS)