The Groff Diversity Scholars program through the department of neurology aims to
enhance the exposure of students considering careers in neurology to the rich clinical
neurology environment at Washington University School of Medicine. Students who are
members of groups underrepresented in medicine, historically minoritized or have been
socioeconomically disadvantaged are encouraged to apply to the program.
Applicants must be fourth year medical students in good standing at their respective LCME or AOA accredited medical school. They are eligible to participate in one 4-week elective and must be interested in pursuing residency in Adult or Child Neurology.
- Accepted students will be receive up to $2500 for expenses such as travel, housing, the Washington University Visiting Student Elective application fee and other approved living expenses
- Each student will have a faculty mentor from the department of neurology
- The program will provide networking opportunities with residents and fellows, as well as Washington University medical students.
- Visiting students will have access to student facilities including the Bernard Becker Medical Library
- Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program Application and accompanying forms
- ODP VEP Supplemental Application
- Personal Statement regarding what you hope to learn in the program
- Curriculum vitae
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member who has supervised the applicant during a third year clerkship, emailed directly from the faculty member’s office
- Our office will download your medical school transcript from the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) service.
Acceptance into the Groff Diversity Scholars Program confers acceptance into
Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program.
We recommend that you submit applications at least two weeks before the desired date
of the elective.
Applicants must submit their elective application through VSLO.
To access the Visiting Medical Student Program forms and the electives’ catalog,
please visit Washington University’s Visiting Medical Student Program website.
For questions, contact the office of the Department of Neurology Vice Chair for
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Groffdps@email.wustl.edu.