Visiting Medical Students
Fourth-year medical students are eligible to participate in the Office of Diversity Programs Visiting Elective Program.
Visiting Elective Program
The goal of the Visiting Elective Program through the Office of Diversity Programs is to enhance the exposure of students considering careers in academic medicine to the Washington University Medical Center, while promoting cultural diversity on the medical school campus. Students who are members of groups underrepresented in medicine or who are socioeconomically disadvantaged are strongly encouraged to apply to the program.
Applicants must be fourth year medical students in good standing at their respective LCME-accredited schools in the United States. They are eligible to participate in one four-week elective. In addition, applicants must have a demonstrated background in enhancing service to disadvantaged groups and current experience in activities related to providing care to the under served.
- Accepted students will be reimbursed up to $2000 for expenses such as travel, housing and other living expenses as well as the Visiting Student Elective application fee of $75
- The program will provide networking opportunities with residents and fellows, as well as fourth-year Washington University medical students
- Visiting students will have access to student facilities including the Bernard Becker Medical Library
- Forest Park, one of the largest urban parks in the United States, serves as the medical center’s back yard and offers a wide spectrum of athletic and cultural facilities
Individuals interested in applying should submit the following documentation:
- Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program Application and accompanying forms
- ODP VEP Supplemental Application
- Official medical school transcript
- Curriculum vitae
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member who has supervised the applicant during a third year clerkship
Acceptance into the ODP Visiting Elective Program confers acceptance into Washington University School of Medicine’s Visiting Medical Student Program.
Submit applications four to six weeks before the desired date of the elective.
Applicants must submit their elective application through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO).
To access the Visiting Medical Student Program forms and the electives’ catalog, please visit Washington University’s Visiting Medical Student Program website.
For questions, contact the Office of Diversity Programs.
Department of Surgery Diversity Sub-Internship Program NEW!
The Department of Surgery at Washington University in St. Louis welcomes applications to its Diversity Sub-internship Program intended to increase underrepresented minority interest in academic surgery. The Program will provide accepted sub-intern students with a four-week rotation at Washington University between July and October in General Surgery or any of its subspecialties.
The Program will provide campus housing adjacent to the rotation site, as well as a $1500.00 stipend to help offset the cost of flights, fees, and incidental expenses.
Applicants who belong to groups that are recognized as historically underrepresented in the health profession including African American, American Indian, Alaska Native, Hispanic American and Pacific Islander and/or LGBTQIA are encouraged to apply to the program. Students must be enrolled in their final year of medical school in good academic standing at an LCME-accredited medical school, and have completed all required core clerkships. The application deadline is May 15, 2018. More details can be found here.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.