Mount Sinai – Visiting Electives Program for Students Underrepresented in Medicine (VEPSUM) Fellowship
Deadline: April 22, 2022
Sponsored by the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai’s Center for Multicultural and Community
Affairs, VEPSUM Fellowship offers four-week electives at The Mount Sinai Health System and its
teaching affiliates in the Graduate Medical Education Consortium to a limited number of qualified 4th-year medical students who attend U.S. accredited medical schools and who are from groups underrepresented in medicine. VEPSUM is designed to increase diversity in the house staff and subsequently the faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and its affiliated institutions by helping talented minority medical students to gain access to electives in our programs. The total number of accepted VEPSUM students is contingent upon available funding and placement capacity.
The majority of the electives will take place throughout The Mount Sinai Health System, the teaching hospital of the Icahn School of Medicine, or within its two clinical teaching affiliates: 1) James J. Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Bronx) and 2) Elmhurst Hospital Center. A complete list of visiting electives can be found on the VEPSUM website.
- The 4-week electives take place between August and October of the fourth year of medical school, depending on availability of individual placements.
- Students must have completed their required core clerkships VEPSUM before starting the program rotation.
- There is no VEPSUM application fee.
- All accepted VEPSUM Students may receive funding up to $2,000 as a stipend to
defray living expenses.
- Students have the opportunity to network with residency program directors, residents, minority faculty, and students, and have access to the Office of Graduate Medical Education, Center for Multicultural and Community Affairs, medical school library, and departmental grand rounds, seminars, and workshops.
Applications will be accepted from December 1st through March 15th of the third year of medical school and decisions will be announced on or before May 1, of the same year. Application Deadline extended to Friday, April 22, 2022.
For more information and to apply, click here.