Children’s National Minority Senior Scholarship Program
Deadline: April 30, 2017
The Minority Senior Scholarship Program (MSSP) was established in 2015 to address the goal of enhancing the diversity of academic pediatricians through exposing senior medical students from races and ethnicities underrepresented in medicine (URM) to academic pediatrics. Through advanced clinical exposure, networking, mentoring, and special sessions, participants are armed with the resources and information needed to confidently make decisions regarding their future training and to better serve diverse populations of children.
Each year, students from medical schools around the country are selected to join us for MSSP during the summer preceding their application to residency. The program includes:
- Immersion in a one-month clinical experience
- Faculty mentors to provide career guidance and perspective on academic pediatrics
- Resident ambassadors to provide an inside view of the residency program and their application process
- Networking opportunities to help participants further advance their careers
- Special sessions to help prepare for short and long term career goals
- A stipend to offset the cost of travel and housing
- Waived Children’s National elective application fee typically charged to students from unaffiliated institution
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- From a racial or ethnic minority underrepresented in medicine (URM) including Hispanic/ Latino, Black/ African American, Native American, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander
- In good standing at an LCME accredited medical school
- Passing grades in all core rotations (pediatrics, internal medicine, family medicine, ob/gyn, and surgery) prior to the start of the program. We realize all grades may not be available at the time of application.
- Complete application by April 30, 2017.
Applications for the 2017 program will be open January through April. All application materials are due by April 30th. Please submit an application online here.