Massachusetts General Hospital Summer Research Trainee Program (SRTP)
The Center for Diversity and Inclusion at Massachusetts General Hospital is now accepting applications for the 2017 Summer Research Trainee Program.
The Summer Research Trainee Program (SRTP), which was founded in 1992, attracts college and medical students from around the nation. The goal of this program is to inspire and develop students who are underrepresented in medicine (URM)* to consider academic medicine and research careers by immersing them in cutting-edge research opportunities.
Fifteen students, selected from a nationwide competition, join SRTP each summer. Each student is assigned to a specific MGH laboratory, clinical site, health policy or health services research area where they undertake original research projects under the mentorship and guidance of an MGH investigator. Assignments are carefully considered and are made with the student’s research and career interest in mind. In addition to this unique research experience, students will gain knowledge through weekly didactic seminars, both at the MGH and at Harvard Medical School, and have opportunities for clinical shadowing.
Deadline for applications is Monday, January 23, 2017.
The Summer Research Trainee Program is a mandatory eight week program, from Monday, June 13 to Thursday, August 3, 2017. Students are paired with an MGH faculty preceptor who provides guidance and mentorship in a new or ongoing research project. Students are expected to:
- Attend a full day orientation on Monday, June 5, 2017
- Prepare an oral presentation of their work at the completion of the program
- Prepare an abstract of the research project
- Attend mandatory, weekly didactic seminars
- Complete all program, hospital and occupational health requirements (e.g. vaccination)
SRTP provides the following support during the eight week period of the program:
- Housing next to hospital on Beacon Hill ($3,000 value)
- Living stipend of $4,000 for food and other necessities
- Travel grants based on demonstrated need (FAFSA required)
- Meals provided at all didactic sessions
The program is open to students who meet the following criteria:
- Member of a group that is underrepresented in medicine (URM)*
- Undergraduate junior or senior, rising 1st year medical student, or 1st year medical student, graduate school student, or post-baccalaureate student (note: freshman and sophomores not eligible)
- Attended/attending a college or medical school in the US and Puerto Rico
- US citizens or permanent residents
*Underrepresented in medicine (URM) for the purpose of this program are those individuals belonging to a particular ethnic or racial group which has been considered by the National Institute of Health (NIH) and the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) to be underrepresented in biomedical research (relative to their numbers in the general population). These groups may include Latino/ Hispanic, African-American/Black, American Indian, Native Hawaiian and Alaskan Natives, among others.
The deadline for completed applications (2017 SRTP Application, as well as supporting materials) is 5:00 pm on Monday, January 23, 2017 (no exceptions allowed). Please complete the 2017 SRTP Application and submit supporting materials following the instructions in Parts I and II below.
A complete application must include
Part I: 2017 SRTP Application. You must upload the following items with this application:
- Personal Statement
- Supplemental Essay Question
Part II: Supporting Documents
- A) 2017 SRTP Recommendation or Medical School Letter of Good Standing. You must use this link to submit:
- Two letters of recommendation
- Letter of Good Standing ONLY IF you are a medical student and your school does not provide transcripts
- B) Official college, graduate, and/or medical school transcript(s). Online format is preferred, emailed to: SRTP@mgh.harvard.edu.
Please visit the SRTP Website for more information on how to apply
- Application Available: Monday, November 28, 2017
- Application Deadline: Monday, January 23, 2017
- Decisions Made (tentative): Tuesday, March 2, 2017
- Program Starts: Monday, June 5, 2017
- Program Ends: Thursday, August 3, 2017
All incomplete applications will not be considered. Allow enough mailing time for the materials to arrive before the deadline.
All required supporting documents must be received by Monday, January 23, 2017. It is your responsibility to ensure that they are received by this date in our office. Once we consider your application complete, you will receive a confirmation email from SRTP@mgh.harvard.edu.